Friday, February 20, 2009

A New Job For Dick Cheney


Well, a story on MSNBC today discusses a proposed law in Texas that would allow hunters to shoot feral pigs from helicopters. I guess they like the fact that hunters in Alaska can hunt from the air. That's real sporting. I've been a hunter all of my life, but I have to tell you, shooting an animal from the air is just chickenshit.

The story informed us that at least 2 million feral hogs were tearing up crops, ripping down fences and eating everything along the way. Have you ever been to Texas? I have visions of sage brush, tumbleweeds, cactus and rattlesnakes. I think they must have been eating for a long time because there just doesn't seem to be much left of the state; at least that's what I remember. In Alaska, brave hunters can shoot bears and wolves from the air. There is certainly no dedication to conservation or sportsmanship here.

This brings me to a great story about Aldo Leoplold my favorite conservationist, as he wrote about an incident when he shot and killed a wolf. He writes: "We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes - something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."

My Dad was a huge inspiration in my life. We shared many days in the field and I would not trade that for anything. He taught me that when you take an animal's life, it is your responsibility to clean it and eat it. I live by that creed.

A few years ago, I read a story about Dick Cheney hunting at a shooting preserve in Pennsylvania. It seems that their party shot 450 pheasants on this one day. Cheney was quite pleased; if my memory serves me correct, he had shot 75 of the birds. What do you want to bet that he never cleaned one?

I have a new job for Dick. Send him to the sage brush of Texas and let him shoot all the feral pigs he wants to. Just don't go hunting with him!

Blog On

3 comments:

  1. Feral pigs are extraordinarily ugly, but this still seems quite harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tommy,
    It's actually Michael Harrelson! Awesome story about "killing from the air" and who cares about "dick cheney" (small case on purpose). This is my first experience e-mailing so excuse me if I'm slow. I hope u get this message! If u do please call me on my phone so I know I'm doing things correct. I've bought time at a computer place, if this works out cool, this will b our new way we converse! Love u & sandy & everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE call me so I know this worked!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, It's michael harrelson again. What a brilliant paragraph you brought forward 3/4/09 starting with the words "concentrated wealth". For future reference, whenever "we" talk, the term "concentrated wealth" will be referred to, by me, as "the elite". Can't remember all I read about the other day's blogs(what I would like to know is if your a fan of Arianna Huffington) but you have a great insight, as I've always known!
    Well that's all for now. will talk tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete